Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Brandeburg Gate

On June 12, 1987, US President Ronald Reagan gave a speech at the Brandenburg Gate, delivered to the people of West Berlin and heard throughout East Berlin. About half through the speech he challenged the General Secretary of the USSR....

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Probably one of the most important speeches given by an American president since the inaugural speech delivered by President Kennedy.

Today, a wall that had been built around me several weeks ago started to crack, noticeably. I will now patiently sit back and hope the crack grows.

I am very pleased.

3 comments:

H2o said...

I hope that crack grows quickly for you.

The Bottom Of The Swamp said...

Thanks;
I'll just be happy if it doesn't close again.

The Bottom Of The Swamp said...

QofD: Yep. You just might have to. I am, of course, hoping that doesn't happen. But then I wasn't expecting the first time, either....